Sweet Guava & Fresh Thyme Wings
Island Wings is a series we will bring to you regularly. To show you how to transform your ordinary Wing Wednesday into a tasty finger licking island twist. The first wing we present in this series is the Sweet Guava & Tangy Thyme wings.
Wings, which everyone can relate to, is your “go to bar” food, “must have a summer” dish. People have found so many ways to add a unique sauce to it, but have you tried guava and thyme glazed wings. When I saw these wings, it was love at first sight. When I taste it, life was complete. Guava adds a flavorful island spin on wings, thyme is a staple in kitchens in The Bahamas. Now time to bring the island flavour and cook some wings.
Ingredients for Chicken
- 12 Chicken wings
- 2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ c Guava nectar
- ½ c All purpose flour
- Lime zest
- Fresh Thyme
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- 3 Egg whites
- Vegetable oil
Ingredients for Glaze
- ½ c Guava jam
- ½ c Guava jelly
- 1 tbsp Orange juice
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- ¼ c Honey
- ½ tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of Garlic
- Fresh Thyme
- Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
Prep Time: up to 24hrs Cook time: 1hr
- In a medium-size bowl, mix guava nectar, extra virgin olive oil, ½ tsp of sea salt, ½ tsp of black pepper, 3 pinches of thyme, and 2 pinches of lime zest.
- Place chicken in a Zip Lock bag, add marinade mix, along with 3 loose sticks of thyme. Seal and shake bag. Place bag in the refrigerator for up to 6-24hrs.
- Heat frying pan at low to medium heat, with vegetable oil (shallow frying-about ½ inch of oil).
- In a medium-size bowl, mix all-purpose flour, ½ tsp of sea salt, 1tsp of black & 2 pinches of thyme.
- In another bowl, whisk 3 egg whites.
- Remove marinated chicken from the refrigerator.
- Dip chicken in the flour mixture, then in the egg whites, then back in the flour.
- Place chicken in the heated pan, Fry until both sides are golden brown
- Once chicken is in the pan, preheat oven to 350 °F
- After both sides are golden brown, place in oven on a baking pan to finish cook through. (About 15 to 20 minutes)
- As chicken is frying, in a medium-size bowl, mix guava jam, guava jelly, orange juice, honey, ¼ cup of water, ½ tsp of sea salt, ½ tsp of black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat saucepan over low heat with extra virgin olive oil 3 pinches of thyme and pressed or minced garlic.
- Once garlic is heated and scented in the pan, add guava mixture. Stir in the pan as a mixture is poured in.
- Mix in a small bowl, cornstarch and 1 tbsp of water. Set aside.
- Once mixture in saucepan starts to boil, mix in cornstarch mixture. Stir often, until thick. Then remove from heat
- Once the chicken is cook through, remove chicken from the oven.
- Pour a third of glaze on chicken, flip the chicken over, then pour next third on top of chicken.
- Place chicken back in the oven until the sauce starts to bubble a little.
- Remove chicken from the oven, and plate. Remaining sauce in pot and be poured on plated chicken.